The contraption on the left is called "Sounding" - and apparently it "evokes" the world of "Moby Dick".
Two years ago, two sculptors from San Francisco made a wire table, filled it with beach rocks and lowered it into the sea for two months. They recorded the ambient sound with a hydrophone. Now when you stand directly underneath the funnel, you too can experience the underwater atmosphere. Puzzling. Do I hear you say pointless? But cool. A passing volunteer told us how excited her groups of school children get when they see it - she said they all "see" different images in the installation.
There's much more.. glass planets... copper quilts... bronze bison...porcelain photographs... and a lot I can't really describe. On your right, a parakeet sits in a cage. But the bird is on a video screen, and as you watch, it preens and flutters, flies out of sight and returns. What does it mean? I don't know but it's hard to stop watching.







No comments:
Post a Comment